CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Come along with me on my journey of being grateful every day for a year...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

121/365

Today, on her birthday, I'm grateful for...

Mom with Stacey & Amy ~ 1981

my mom.

I was very close to her as a child and we've always had a special relationship.

Me, Amy & Mom ~ 1997

I remember the time she taught in a classroom where children were known to be physically disruptive. She had to go to trainings and learn the proper restraints to protect herself, and of course, she came home and used me as her guinea pig. However, I happened to be a WWF fan at the time and knew a few holds myself. We ended up wrestling all over our living room until we were sore, and we both woke up the next morning with bruises on our arms and legs.

Me, Mom, Stacey, Amy & our dog Sullivan ~ 1996

My dad traveled a lot when I was growing up and after my sisters moved away, she was the only one at home. When I got in from work, I would crawl in bed with her and talk about my day before we fell asleep. Most of the time she would roll over and cover her nose with the collar of her t-shirt because I worked at a convenience store where fried chicken was sold, and quite frankly, I stunk. But she never ever refused me a goodnight hug and kiss on the cheek.

Me, Amy, Grace & Mom ~ DisneyWorld 2001

She was always easy to reason with, but firm when necessary. I never wanted to disobey her, not because I would be in trouble, but because I didn't want to let her down. I should've remembered that on my 18th birthday when I stayed out past my assumed curfew riding fourwheelers. As it turns out, she was waiting up for me when I walked through the front door. I still blame my dog for barking when I pulled in the driveway and blowing my cover. But I got grounded that night and never made the same mistake again!

Me & Mom ~ April 2005

She always used to come to me when she wanted to know the truth, because I never held back my true feelings. Often times when she was leaving for work, I would stumble into the kitchen for breakfast and say, "You're not gonna wear that, are ya?!" And then I would give my speech on how socks with jingle bells really aren't a fashion statement no matter if you teach second grade or not. She would laugh and change her socks, but thank me on her way out the door for keeping her in style. I only did it because I loved her, and she appreciated that quality about me. In fact, when she went to the optometrist a few years back, I was the one she called to help her pick out new glasses. And when I walked into the office and told her the black frames she was trying on resembled Drew Carey and Austin Powers, she laughed and thanked me for my brutal honesty. And chose a much more attractive pair.

Mom & me on my wedding day ~ June 2003

I love you so much, Mom and I'm so proud of you. Thank you for playing Barbies with me as a child, and for smiling for pictures the year we made you a birthday cake with homemade army green frosting. Thank you for carrying me asleep in your arms when you would leave college nightclasses with a backpack thrown over your shoulder. Thank you for letting me use bags of Poly-Fil as a pillow when I would fall asleep at your feet in the wee hours of the morning while you sewed on your machine. Thank you for making us all teddy bears for Christmas after you had studied for college finals all day. Thank you for working two jobs so you could afford to buy my prom dresses and wedding gown. Thank you for cleaning my house when I was pregnant and on bedrest, and for being in the room with me when Macy was born. Thank you for taking off work to go to Louisville with us when she was transferred to the NICU, and for holding me while I cried as she was having open-heart surgery.

a pregnant me with Mom ~ 2006

It wasn't until I held Macy for the first time that I realized just how much you loved me. Motherhood has taught me to appreciate you in a whole new way. Thank you for setting a terrific example of what a mother should be. I don't know where I would be without you. You've made me who I am today, and you are one of my best friends. 

Macy & Mom ~ Easter 2008

Happy Birthday to the most wonderful woman I know.

2 comments:

mom said...

Trish,
Thank you for all the sweet words. I always love to read your blogs. You make me laugh and cry at the same time. I love you.
mom

Stacey said...

I wish I could have been there last night to wish her happy birthday in person. I love your recount of all these memories! Many of which I have myself. (Ahem, except the fried chicken.) She's a keeper, that one. I don't know what kind of mother I'd be without her guidance and personal example all those years. Best Mommy EVER.