a recipe book that my mother-in-law made for me the Christmas that Chad I got engaged.
There are hand-written recipes from everyone in the family. Some have pictures with them, and some have little notes attached.
This recipe for Lemon Lush says it's one of Chad and Granny Dode's favorites.
I've used this book many times over the years, and maybe it means more to me now because some of the recipes are from family who have passed away since it was made. But I love going to it when I'm trying to find something tried and true. And I'm sure the chicken livers Chad requested for dinner tasted nothing like Granny Dean's, but reading her own handwriting and using her old slotted spoon during the process made me smile and appreciate her cooking even more.
That being said, I consider myself to have a pretty strong stomach since becoming a mom, but I would rather scrub a toilet with my bare hands than bread a container of chicken livers again. I can cut a whole chicken into pieces, bait my own fishhook, and clean up messes from my child that I won't explain in detail. But I still get the willies if I feel a slick chicken liver slide between my fingers.
Maybe next time, I'll just buy a box from KFC.




2 comments:
So sweet! Sounds like you married in to a very thoughtful family!
Trish, I am right there with ya when it comes to breading chicken livers. Nothing makes me queasy faster than seeing them things...yuck!
Post a Comment